Experienced Alabama Attorney at Hill, Gossett, Kemp & Hufford, P.C.

Family Law
Estate Planning
Personal Injury

Probate & Estate Administration

Criminal Defense

St. Clair County Child Custody Lawyer

With decades of experience, attorney Joseph R. Kemp understands how to protect a parent’s relationship with a child. From his St. Clair County area law office, he stands up for parents throughout the surrounding parts of Alabama.

Joint Custody Or Sole Custody?

The courts believe that, barring extenuating circumstances, the best option is for the child to have continuing contact with both parents. For that reason, most child custody cases result in some form of joint custody. Joint custody has two parts: joint legal custody and joint physical custody. Joint legal custody allows each parent to contribute to the important decisions that need to be made regarding the child’s education, religion and more. Joint physical custody allows each parent to spend time with the child, although not necessarily equally.

In some cases, sole custody may be appropriate. Sole legal custody gives only one parent the right to make decisions for the child. Sole physical custody means the child will live with only one parent, while the other may have visitation rights.

“I recognize that child custody cases are always emotional, always difficult. This is true whether they are related to a divorce or a paternity action.” Attorney Joseph R. Kemp

Grandparent Visitation

Grandparents’ rights are complicated under Alabama family law. The law is constantly in flux in this matter. Unfortunately, grandparents have very few rights, except in unique circumstances. However, there may be options. If you are a grandparent and you want to protect your relationship with your grandchild, talk to a skilled lawyer. Joseph R. Kemp works hard to help grandparents maintain their important role in the lives of children.

Free Child Custody Consultation From A Shelby Area Attorney

Joseph R. Kemp can be reached by email or by telephone at 205-699-5500. Contact him today to discuss child custody and visitation options.

Schedule Your
Free Consultation